Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Who are Barbarians?

 Romans 1:14

King James Version

14 I am debtor both to the Greeks, 

and to the Barbarians; 

both to the wise, 

and to the unwise.


Who were "Barbarians"?

Who were apostle Paul referring to?

To get better understanding, we turn to other Bible versions:


Romans 1:14

Amplified Bible

14 I have a duty to perform and a debt to pay both to Greeks and to barbarians [the cultured and the uncultured], both to the wise and to the foolish.


Romans 1:14

Common English Bible

14 I have a responsibility both to Greeks and to those who don’t speak Greek, both to the wise and to the foolish.


Romans 1:14

Complete Jewish Bible

14 I owe a debt to both civilized Greeks and uncivilized people, to both the educated and the ignorant;


Romans 1:14-15

Contemporary English Version

14-15 It doesn't matter if people are civilized and educated, or if they are uncivilized and uneducated. I must tell the good news to everyone. That's why I am eager to visit all of you in Rome.


Romans 1:14

Easy-to-Read Version

14 I must serve all people—those who share in Greek culture and those who are less civilized,[a] the educated as well as the ignorant.


Romans 1:14

Expanded Bible

14 I have a ·duty [obligation; debt] to all people—Greeks and ·those who are not Greeks [or barbarians; C this pairing could mean (1) ethnic Greeks and other Gentiles; (2) Greek speakers (people in the Roman empire) and non-Greek speakers (those outside the Roman empire); or (3) cultured people and uncultured people], the wise and the foolish [C perhaps contrasting educated with uneducated, or philosophically sophisticated (1 Cor. 1:18–31) with simple-minded].


Romans 1:14

GOD’S WORD Translation

14 I have an obligation to those who are civilized and those who aren’t, to those who are wise and those who aren’t.


Romans 1:14

Good News Translation

14 For I have an obligation to all peoples, to the civilized and to the savage, to the educated and to the ignorant.


Romans 1:14

International Children’s Bible

14 I must serve all people—Greeks and non-Greeks, the wise and the foolish.


Romans 1:14

J.B. Phillips New Testament

14 I feel myself under a sort of universal obligation, I owe something to all men, from cultured Greek to ignorant savage


Romans 1:14

Living Bible

14 For I owe a great debt to you and to everyone else, both to civilized people and uncivilized alike; yes, to the educated and uneducated alike.


Romans 1:14

New American Standard Bible

14 I am [a]under obligation both to Greeks and to the [b]uncultured, both to the wise and to the foolish.


Romans 1:14

New Century Version

14 I have a duty to all people—Greeks and those who are not Greeks, the wise and the foolish.


Romans 1:14

New Life Version

14 I must help the people who have had a chance to hear the Good News and those who have not. I must help those with much learning and those who have never learned from books.


Romans 1:14

New Living Translation

14 For I have a great sense of obligation to people in both the civilized world and the rest of the world,[a] to the educated and uneducated alike.


Romans 1:14

New Matthew Bible

14 For I am a debtor both to the Greeks and to those who are not Greek, to the learned and also to the unlearned.


Kehillah in Rome 1:14

Orthodox Jewish Bible

14 I am meshubad (obligated) morally, under shiebud (obligation), to both cultured Greek-speakers and non-Greek-speaking barbarians, both the learned and the untutored.


Romans 1:14

Worldwide English (New Testament)

14 This is something I must do for the Greek people and for all other people. I must do it for people who are wise and for people who are not wise.


Romans 1:14

Young's Literal Translation

14 Both to Greeks and to foreigners, both to wise and to thoughtless, I am a debtor,


In SUMMARY, "Barbarians" are:

the uncultured (the foolish)

those who don't speak Greek (the foolish)

uncivilized people (the ignorant)

uncivilized and uneducated 

those who are less civilized (the ignorant)

those who are not Greeks or barbarians; other Gentiles; non-Greek speakers (those outside the Roman empire); uncultured people; uneducated; simple-minded

those who aren't civilized (those who aren't wise)

the savage (the ignorant)

non-Greeks (the foolish)

ignorant savage

uncivilized (uneducated)

the uncultured (the foolish)

those who are not Greeks (the foolish)

those who have not heard the Good News (those who have never learned from books)

the rest of the world

those who are not Greek (the unlearned)

non-Greek-speaking barbarians (the untutored)

all other people (who are not wise)

foreigners (the thoughtless)


My brother's KEEPER

  Genesis 4:9 King James Version 9 And the Lord said unto Cain,  Where is Abel thy brother?  And he said, I know not:  Am I my brother's...