Sunday, August 7, 2022

The sons of perdition JESUS referred to

 

JESUS said:

John 17:12

King James Version

12 While I was with them in the world, 

I kept them in thy name: 

those that thou gavest me I have kept, 

and none of them is lost, 

but the son of perdition; 

that the scripture might be fulfilled.


Who is the "son of perdition" JESUS referring to in this verse? 

What did "perdition" mean?

Why was this son lost?

To get a better understanding, I checked various Bible versions:


John 17:12

Amplified Bible

12 While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me; and I guarded them and protected them, and not one of them was lost except [a]the son of destruction, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled.


John 17:12

Amplified Bible, Classic Edition

12 While I was with them, I kept and preserved them in Your Name [[a]in the knowledge and worship of You]. Those You have given Me I guarded and protected, and not one of them has perished or is lost except the son of perdition [Judas Iscariot—the one who is now doomed to destruction, destined to be lost], that the Scripture might be fulfilled.


John 17:12

Common English Bible

12 When I was with them, I watched over them in your name, the name you gave to me, and I kept them safe. None of them were lost, except the one who was destined for destruction, so that scripture would be fulfilled.


John 17:12

Complete Jewish Bible

12 When I was with them, I guarded them by the power of your name, which you have given to me; yes, I kept watch over them; and not one of them was destroyed (except the one meant for destruction, so that the Tanakh might be fulfilled).


John 17:12

Contemporary English Version

12  While I was with them, I kept them safe by the power you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost, except the one who had to be lost. This happened so that what the Scriptures say would come true.


John 17:12

Easy-to-Read Version

12 While I was with them, I kept them safe by the power of your name—the name you gave me. I protected them. And only one of them was lost—the one who was sure to be lost. This was to show the truth of what the Scriptures said would happen.


John 17:12

Expanded Bible

12 While I was with them, I kept them safe by the power of [or kept them loyal to] your name, the name you gave me. I ·protected [guarded] them, and only one of them, the ·one worthy of destruction [L son of destruction/perdition; C Judas], was lost so that the Scripture would ·come true [L be fulfilled; Ps. 41:9].


John 17:12

1599 Geneva Bible

12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy Name: those that thou gavest me, have I kept, and none of them is lost, but the child of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.


John 17:12

GOD’S WORD Translation

12 While I was with them, I kept them safe by the power of your name, the name that you gave me. I watched over them, and none of them, except one person, became lost. So Scripture came true.


John 17:12

Good News Translation

12 While I was with them, I kept them safe by the power of your name, the name you gave me.[a] I protected them, and not one of them was lost, except the man who was bound to be lost—so that the scripture might come true.


John 17:12

International Children’s Bible

12 While I was with them, I kept them safe. I kept them safe by the power of your name—the name you gave me. I protected them. And only one of them, the one who is going to hell, was lost. He was lost so that what was said in the Scripture would happen.


John 17:12

International Standard Version

12 While I was with them, I protected them by the authority[a] that you gave me. I guarded them, and not one of them became lost except the one who was destined for[b] destruction, so that the Scripture might be fulfilled.


John 17:12

Living Bible

12 During my time here I have kept safe within your family all of these you gave me.[a] I guarded them so that not one perished, except the son of hell, as the Scriptures foretold.


John 17:12

The Message

And not one of them got away,

Except for the rebel bent on destruction

(the exception that proved the rule of Scripture).


John 17:12

New Century Version

12 While I was with them, I kept them safe by the power of your name, the name you gave me. I protected them, and only one of them, the one worthy of destruction, was lost so that the Scripture would come true.


John 17:12

New International Reader's Version

12 While I was with them, I guarded them. I kept them safe through the name you gave me. None of them has been lost, except the one who was headed for ruin. It happened so that Scripture would come true.


John 17:12

New International Version

12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by[a] that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.


John 17:12

New Life Version

12 While I have been with them in the world, I have kept them in the power of Your name. I have kept watch over those You gave Me. Not one of them has been lost except the one who is going to be destroyed, which is the son of death. The Holy Writings said it would happen.


John 17:12

New Matthew Bible

12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in your name. Those whom you gave me I have kept, and none of them is lost except that lost child, so that the scripture may be fulfilled.


John 17:12

New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised

12 While I was with them, I protected them in your name that[a] you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost,[b] so that the scripture might be fulfilled.


Yochanan 17:12

Orthodox Jewish Bible

12 When I was with them, I was keeping them in the Shem of You, which You have given me, and I kept shomer, and none of them perished or was lost, except the Ben HaAvaddon (the Son of Destruction, Perdition, the state of final spiritual ruin, Gehinnom*), that the Kitvei Hakodesh might be fulfilled. [TEHILLIM 24:22; 41:9; 109:4,5,7,8]


In SUMMARY, the "son of perdition" JESUS spoke of in His prayer (before He was taken) referred to:

the son of destruction

the son of perdition [Judas Iscariot—the one who is now doomed to destruction, destined to be lost]

the one who was destined for destruction

the one meant for destruction

the one who had to be lost

the one who was sure to be lost

the ·one worthy of destruction [L son of destruction/perdition; C Judas]

the child of perdition

one person, became lost

the man who was bound to be lost

the one who is going to hell, was lost

the one who was destined for[b] destruction

the son of hell

the rebel bent on destruction

the one worthy of destruction

the one who was headed for ruin

the one doomed to destruction

the one who is going to be destroyed, which is the son of death

that lost child

the one destined to be lost

the Ben HaAvaddon (the Son of Destruction, Perdition, the state of final spiritual ruin, Gehinnom*)


There is also ANOTHER "son of perdition" JESUS prophesied about.

Click this link to know more.


*NOTE: GEHINNOM

"In Judaism the name Gehinnom is generally used as an appellation of the place of torment reserved for the wicked after death. The New Testament used the Greek form Gehenna in the same sense." (Source: Jewish Virtual Library)


Related material:

WORD study

BASIS for BIBLE versions

WHY Did JESUS Have to Die?


Image: Unsplash


My brother's KEEPER

  Genesis 4:9 King James Version 9 And the Lord said unto Cain,  Where is Abel thy brother?  And he said, I know not:  Am I my brother's...