Sunday, July 31, 2022

Why JESUS had to GO AWAY

 

The LORD JESUS said:

John 16:5

King James Version

5 But now I go my way to him that sent me; 

and none of you asketh me, 

Whither goest thou?


Why did JESUS have to leave?

Why did He say He had to "go away"?

Where was He going?

JESUS declares:

John 16:7

King James Version

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; 

It is expedient for you that I go away: 

for if I go not away, 

the Comforter will not come unto you; 

but if I depart, 

I will send him unto you.


JESUS had to "go away" so the Comforter will come unto us.

When JESUS departs, He will send Him.

But some of you may ask what did JESUS mean when He said "expedient"?

Or who is the "Comforter"?

Let's study this verse then:


John 16:7

Amplified Bible

7 But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the [a]Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby) will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him (the Holy Spirit) to you [to be in close fellowship with you].


John 16:7

Amplified Bible, Classic Edition

7 However, I am telling you nothing but the truth when I say it is profitable (good, expedient, advantageous) for you that I go away. Because if I do not go away, the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Advocate, Intercessor, Strengthener, Standby) will not come to you [into close fellowship with you]; but if I go away, I will send Him to you [to be in close fellowship with you].


John 16:7

Christian Standard Bible

7 Nevertheless, I am telling you the truth. It is for your benefit that I go away, because if I don’t go away the Counselor will not come to you. If I go, I will send him to you.


John 16:7

Common English Bible

7 I assure you that it is better for you that I go away. If I don’t go away, the Companion[a] won’t come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.


John 16:7

Contemporary English Version

7 But I tell you I am going to do what is best for you. This is why I am going away. The Holy Spirit cannot come to help[a] you until I leave. But after I am gone, I will send the Spirit to you.


John 16:7

Darby Translation

7 But I say the truth to you, It is profitable for you that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Comforter will not come to you; but if I go I will send him to you.


John 16:7

Disciples’ Literal New Testament

7 But I tell you the truth— it is better[a] for you that I go away. For if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send Him to you.


John 16:7

Evangelical Heritage Version

7 Nevertheless, I am telling you the truth: It is good for you that I go away. For if I do not go away, the Counselor will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.


John 16:7

English Standard Version

7 Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.


John 16:7

GOD’S WORD Translation

7 However, I am telling you the truth: It’s good for you that I’m going away. If I don’t go away, the helper won’t come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.


John 16:7

Holman Christian Standard Bible

7 Nevertheless, I am telling you the truth. It is for your benefit that I go away, because if I don’t go away the Counselor will not come to you. If I go, I will send Him to you.


John 16:7

J.B. Phillips New Testament

Yet I am telling you the simple truth when I assure you that it is a good thing for you that I should go away. For if I did not go away, the divine helper would not come to you. But if I go, then I will send him to you.


John 16:7

Lexham English Bible

7 But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go away. For if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.


John 16:7

Living Bible

7 But the fact of the matter is that it is best for you that I go away, for if I don’t, the Comforter won’t come. If I do, he will—for I will send him to you.


John 16:7

The Message

So let me say it again, this truth: It’s better for you that I leave. If I don’t leave, the Friend won’t come. But if I go, I’ll send him to you.


John 16:7

New International Reader's Version

7 But what I’m about to tell you is true. It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Friend will not come to help you. But if I go, I will send him to you.


John 16:7

New International Version

7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.


John 16:7

New Matthew Bible

7 Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is better for you that I go away. For if I do not go away, the Comforter will not come to you. But if I depart, I will send him to you.


Yochanan 16:7

Orthodox Jewish Bible

7 But I tell HaEmes (the truth), it is better for you that I go away. For if I do not go away, the Melitz Yosher (Praklit, Advocate, Counselor, Helper in Court) will not come to you. But if go, I will send Him (the Ruach Hakodesh) to you.


John 16:7

The Voice

7 But the truth is that My departure will be a gift that will serve you well, because if I don’t leave, the great Helper will not come to your aid. When I leave, I will send Him to you.


John 16:7

Worldwide English (New Testament)

7 Anyway, I am telling you the truth. It is better for you if I go away. If I do not go away, the one who is to help you will not come to you. But if I go away, I will send him to you.


John 16:7

Wycliffe Bible

7 But I say to you truth, it speedeth to you, that I go; for if I go not forth [soothly if I shall not go away], the comforter shall not come to you; but if I go forth [forsooth if I shall go away], I shall send him to you.


In SUMMARY, "expedient" means:

to your advantage

profitable (good, expedient, advantageous) for you

for your benefit

better for you

best for you

profitable for you

good for you

to your advantage

a good thing for you

for your good

a gift that will serve you well

it speedeth to you


In SUMMARY, the "Comforter" also refers to:

Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby)

(Counselor, Helper, Advocate, Intercessor, Strengthener, Standby)

Counselor

Companion

Holy Spirit

Helper

divine helper

Advocate

Friend

Melitz Yosher (Praklit, Advocate, Counselor, Helper in Court)

Him (the Ruach Hakodesh)

great Helper

the one who is to help you

Paraclete (John 16:7 Mounce Reverse Interlinear New Testament)


Click here for other WORD studies.


Related material:

BASIS for BIBLE versions


Image: Unsplash


My brother's KEEPER

  Genesis 4:9 King James Version 9 And the Lord said unto Cain,  Where is Abel thy brother?  And he said, I know not:  Am I my brother's...